Help & FAQ
ME Libraries Frequently Asked Questions
Alberta wide borrowing is here! ME Libraries lets you join other public libraries across Alberta and borrow their materials using ONE library card. Make the most of your library card and access more items for free!
ME Libraries is a service of Alberta Public Library Network.
- What is the ME Libraries service? ME Libraries is a web-based service that allows customers with a library card from a participating library to create an account with and access the physical collections at all other participating libraries. Interested customers complete a self-service web form to create an account with libraries other than their home library. This allows them to use their home library card as their library card at any participating library they have registered with. All items must be picked up at the owning library but can conveniently be returned to any ME library.
- Do I have to register with all of the ME libraries? No. You choose which libraries you want an account with as part of the web-based registration process.
- Are there any restrictions on which services I can access? You can access all of the collections available to a regular library cardholder at any library you create an account with excluding access to online resources and interlibrary loan services. Licensing restrictions for online resources do not currently permit member libraries to extend access to customers that do not live in their municipal area. You may use your home library for interlibrary loan services.
- Is there a cost to use the ME Libraries service and create accounts at member libraries? There is no cost to customers who have an existing home library card with one of the participating libraries.
- Do I have to pay late fees for overdue or lost materials at libraries I register with? Yes. ME Libraries is a service that creates a membership for you. You agree to abide by the borrowing rules of each library you create an account with. Any fees are to be paid directly to the billing library.
- Who is eligible to register to use the ME Libraries service? Adults, age 18 and over, with a home library card in good standing from one of the participating libraries may register for access to additional libraries via the ME Libraries service. You must have an e-mail address registered in your home library account to successfully use the ME Libraries service. All notices about your account(s) will be sent to your registered e-mail address.
- What about children's cards? Permission from a parent or guardian is required to register a child's card. Please register your child's card for access to participating libraries in person.
- I have paid for a reciprocal library card with one of the participating libraries. Can I get a refund? Unfortunately, no. Libraries participating in the ME Libraries service are not able to refund fees paid for previous reciprocal library cards.
- I already have a reciprocal library card with one of the participating libraries. If I sign up for an account at that library using the ME Libraries service, what happens to that reciprocal card account? In this scenario, you will have two accounts at that library and will be responsible for both. You may choose to close your reciprocal account by contacting the library.
- I have been using a TAL card (The Alberta Library). Why would I use the ME Libraries service? Your TAL card is valid at all participating library systems in Alberta, including the libraries that make up the ME Libraries service. However, the TAL card requires a separate card and in-person registration with each library you wish to use.
- I have outstanding charges on my existing home library account. Can I still register for the ME Libraries? Yes, if your account is deemed in good standing. This means that the charges on your account are below the limit where your home library restricts borrowing privileges.
- How do I register? It's simple. Go to http://melibraries.ca and follow the registration prompts. Once registered, your home library card will immediately serve as your card for all libraries you have registered with.
- Anything else I need to know about registration? Some registrations may result in a modified PIN. You will be notified at registration if your PIN was changed. Also, the first time you use your barcode and PIN to access your online account at a new library, you may be prompted to create a username.
- What if I lose my home library card and/or get a replacement home library card for any reason? Please report a lost card to your home library as soon as possible. Once you have a replacement home library card, login to Me Libraries with your new card number and PIN. Choose the “update” option for each library you have joined.
- What will my membership term be with at the libraries I register with? Your account membership length at the libraries you register with will be set as your home library expiry date or one year, whichever is shorter.
- Do I have to register for this service each year? Yes. You will need to renew your membership at all of the ME libraries you chose to register with each year. Once you've renewed your membership at your home library, visit melibraries.ca to renew your other accounts.
- Why do I need to approve giving my personal account information as part of the registration process? We require this information to automatically set up your account(s) with the other libraries. You will be presented with the information that is being shared with each library and your approval is required before it is shared. Your personal information will not be used for any other purposes.
- I tried to register via the ME Libraries website but was unsuccessful. What do I do? Please contact your home library for assistance. They will troubleshoot your account and determine the cause.
- Who do I contact for more information about this service? Contact your home library for more information.